Saturday, August 30, 2008

I'm going there someday...sooner, than later!


So my bishop came up to me last Sunday and asked if he could meet with me. I said sure! We set the date for Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 at 6:30 pm. Of course things were going through my mind such as: release of my Sunday School calling or possibly Choir Director, since we haven't had a Choir Director for over a year. I thought to myself and told my close friends that if I get called to Choir, I'll just come right out and tell him that "I quit the church!"
It started off as just small talk-the usual talking about life, how is life, what are you up to? He then proceeded to tell me that he's had some impressions on several occasions that I should start preparing to enter the Temple.
I was a little taken back, because I was expecting the worst (Choir) and instead it was something 200% better than that. I decided then and there that I was going to start to prepare for this. He then told me that there are Temple Prep classes that you can take, which obviously I would. The next class should start in approximately a month or so.

He also gave me a book to read: "The blessings of the Holy Temple" by Boyd K. Packer. I started reading it that very night. I was intrigued by some of the things I read. He strictly mentions that he is not imposing on the sacred ceremonies and will not go into any detail about them that has not been mentioned by the Church. I've always been interested in other cultures and their customs or ceremonies. Not only that but I've heard from many people that when you go for the first time that it's strange or foreign. Since I've heard that so many times, I feel that these ceremonies which I am about to embark upon, are not strange or foreign, but sacred. My thoughts have changed. My life has changed. Everything I say and do effects my worthiness and I never really, really thought about that. But now with the Temple being my specific goal right now, it's amazing how those things in my life either are meaningless, or more meaninful than ever.

So in about 3-4 months, I will enter the Temple for the first time. Not as a youth doing baptisms for the dead for mutual, but as a growing woman doing what I feel is right at this time and enjoying the blessing of the Temple.

2 comments:

Scott, Kara, Paul, Brad and Andee said...

That is awesome! I am so happy for you, it will be so wonderful! Hope work is surviving without me!

lindsey hill said...

Esther that is awesome. It is an incredible experience, and one that has truly blessed my family. Congrats on this accomplishment. it is worth every moment of worthiness.